What if public transit was like Uber? A small city ended its bus service to find out::Small-scale, tech-based solutions to transportation problems have emerged as a great equalizer in the battle for infrastructure dollars between big cities and rural communities.

• Aopen
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Long wait times made the bus route almost unusable for David Bunn, even when his car broke down and he couldn’t afford to replace it. Instead, Bunn, who has two broken discs in his back, would take a 5-mile (8-kilometer) roundtrip walk to pick up groceries.

“A small city”

• Aopen
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I dont know if you understand. In Europe if grocery shop isnt in your village, its probably 2-3km away in the neighboring village. Calling something “a city” indicates that everything is denser. So I find it funny when American “cities” are less dense than European “villages separated by farmland”

• JoBo@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I’m European. Tiny cities exist here too. As do food deserts. When most people drive, local shops and bus services disappear, and people without cars get stranded.

• Aopen
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

The point of transit is not to have a bus. The point of transit is getting people where they need to be.

This is definition of transportation, not transit

• Aopen
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

as many as 3 in 10 residents lacked access to a car to get to work

Because people need a car to get from point A to point B. Enough of this bs. Stopped reading there