I use Hetzner as a seedbox and then have PLEX as my media server ran on the same hardware. It’s worked perfectly fine for years. But recently PLEX says they will be blocking Hetzner hosting in the next few weeks. I’ve been considering moving to Jellyfin for a while, but I’m worried they will do the same thing in future.

Does anyone know if that’s a real possibility?

Also, if I setup a VPN and just download stuff I torrent from my seedbox to a local PLEX server, would I be in any more risk of legal issues then I am now?

Am I looking at this completely wrong, and I should do something completely different?

To clarify what I am thinking of doing:

Keep my Hetzner as my seedbox and continue to download using my IPTorrents account. Setup a Local Plex or Jellyfin server and download from my seedbox to that local server that will be ran behind a VPN.

UPDATE: So this past weekend I did some testing and JellyFin is now my new Media Streaming software on my server. Going to take some time to learn how it works compared to PLEX, but so far things have been nearly 1 to 1. Thanks everyone for the help, I’m very grateful.

• Kitikuru@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

It’s a self hosted application that displays the poster art from your media library to a digital sign, tv, or anything with a web browser. It connects to Radarr, Sonarr, and Plex to get the currently playing, releasing soon (and monitored) and your Plex library items.

See the project here: https://github.com/petersem/posterr

• ChojinDSL
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I don’t quite see the use case for this. Jellyfin shows poster art for your media. Or are you outputting to a different display than you are watching your media on?

• Kitikuru@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I have a separate screen mounted to the wall that shows posters on rotation. It’s an android tablet essentially, but made for interactive store displays.