It looks like I have nothing more to add to the conversation than the fact that almost every vpn which has a free plan doesn’t allow torrenting. That’s it folks. Ignore the post. Gonna not delete it because, well for the archieve ig

Here’s what I learnt, almost every vpn which has a free version doesn’t allow torrenting. Not even protonvpn, however if apparently atlasvpn allows it, but atlasvpn didn’t work for me, so I am gonna go take a nap AND abandon this thread.

I was wondering how you torrent using qbittorrent and manage to stay anonymous. I realize I can use a VPN, but VPN networks can fail. Apparently, there is a kill switch which can be applied so that qbittorent would kill all processes when the VPN is disconnected, I was wondering how one could do this. I live in a country where torrenting might be cracked down, so I just want to be secure and not take any chances.

Also, I realize I should not torrent over the tor network but what about VPN are they built to handle such a load?

PS: I won’t download more than 300mbs per day.

• Ryan
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

You can bind qbittorrent to the vpn network interface. If it’s not there, no traffic. That’s my approach.

• Blizzard@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

On linux, connections can have some weird names so you need to figure out the name of your VPN connection.

In qBittorrent go to Settings > Advanced > Network Interface and see what connections are available. Then connect to VPN and see what new connection appeared on the interfaces list - it will be the VPN you just connected to, possibly “tun0”. Select it and you’re good.

• Setarkus@toast.ooo
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I use Linux btw

My mind autocompleting before finishing reading: “I use Linux Arch by the way tips fedora

• Ryan
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Look in the network settings, you should see the option there. I’m not on my notebook right now, so I can’t tell exactly, sorry…