China has lashed out at Germany after its foreign minister called Xi Jinping a “dictator” and summoned Berlin’s ambassador for a dressing down, in the latest flaring of tensions with a western democratic power over how the Chinese leader is described overseas.

German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock made the remarks in an interview with Fox News during a visit to the United States last week.

When asked about Russia’s war on Ukraine, she said: “If Putin were to win this war, what sign would that be for other dictators in the world, like Xi, like the Chinese president?”

The Chinese government on Sunday summoned Germany’s ambassador to China, Patricia Flor, to protest Baerbock’s comments, a German foreign ministry spokesperson told CNN Monday.

• @Laitinlok
    link
    English
    28 months ago

The people around him makes him like that, it’s unhelpful to his behaviour. Their sensitivity is making people insecure and fear. This is unhealthy.

• The Snark Urge
      link
      fedilink
      English
      48 months ago

People are situational and each of us is worthy of love, but I’m not Steven Universe. I’m just a quippy internet guy who is angry about bad stuff, and I don’t care if he finds it hard to be a good leader. It’s his job to try and his government is very frequently terrible.