I know profilers and debuggers are a boon for productivity, but anecdotally I’ve found they’re seldom used. How often do you use debuggers/profilers in your work? What’s preventing you? conversely, what enables you to use them?

• pinkpatrol@anarch.isOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

How do people do stuff without debuggers? :D

Another way to develop would be through iterating within a Unit Test that you don’t plan to keep around.

Uh, I set a breakpoint and run the app?

To add a bit more context, it’s more difficult to configure a debugger when the application is running within something like Docker. How difficult? That depends on the language and tools you’re using.

• Nicktar@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I’ve seen the fun of “prints everywhere” in production when a colleague forgot to remove a “Why the fuck do you end up here?” followed by a bunch of variables before committing a hot-fix… Customers weren’t to amused…

Edit: That was a PHP driven web shop and the message ended up on to of the checkout page

• @mastodon.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

@Nicktar I usually prefer the prints everywhere approach, but of course printing to STDERR not STDOUT - so it ends up in a log, and not in the program output 😅 won’t make that mistake again!

• MagicShel@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That must’ve prompted a bit of existential crisis in some shoppers. I can see going to purchase some useless consumer shit online and getting a message “Why the fuck do you end up here?” and just closing my browser and rethinking my life decisions.

• aksdb@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

We run almost everything on bare metal during development. The ci/cd pipeline runs containerized and also produces a container with the application inside, that then gets deployed to production. But we don’t debug on production, so that isn’t an issue.