• Haui
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I cant top that but autism at 35 was fun…

• nottheengineer@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I have a colleague who I suspect might be slightly autistic. There have been a few situations where looks have been exchanged but he didn’t seem to notice, like for example when he asked our department manager for some more details in our yearly result when the manager was stressed. So the manager gives him a super quick answer that we just don’t have that data. He kept asking why and brought up ideas to gather it and our manager made it very apparent that he doesn’t have time but didn’t say it until 2 minutes into the conversation. Everyone in the room noticed, except for that one person asking questions.

He also delivers jokes in a super dry manner that makes the words hit harder instead of saying it in a funny way.

So should I tell him? It could be a very awkward conversation if I’m wrong.

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Oh wow. Yes, that would be me as well. I‘m that guy in every place I work.

Maybe talk to the person and speak about an interesting video from the neurodivergent doctor or someone else who is really good at all things autism.

Like „I recently found out“ maybe about yourself or a(n imaginary) friend. So that you don’t have to hit them with „you‘re shit at socials“ but give them strong resources with a quite hefty hint. I need stuff being said pretty directly so if your colleague doesn’t take subtle hints, make it not so subtle instead. :)

Good luck! (Btw. ADHD and trauma have strong overlaps with autism so you‘d have a hard time anyway to tell them apart if you‘re not well informed already)

• D2L@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Ooo, that is my next one I wondered was even possible at my age. Or what it would mean other than some validation and explanations. I have already come up with so many coping strategies and routines at this point.

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I actually know a lot of autistic people what were diagnosed at 50+. So don’t worry. It is possible.

I can’t say what it will mean for you but I can tell you what it meant for me in hindsight: I am still reframing my life before the diagnosis. So I go through all incidents again and view them with the diagnosis in mind. That changed my picture about myself maybe not 180 degrees but definitely 90 :) It also led to me coming up with healthier strategies to cope and to go through life. I have better friends now, sleep better and have a better outlook on life.

I can relate: The routines and comping strategies were how I got here. I had some that were good but a lot were less than stellar. Since I know, I have revised them to make sure I don’t hurt myself every day of the week. I don’t burn out as easily since I know what actually happens.

I hope this helps you. Wish you all the luck. :)