• ck_OP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

We’re not golden because we are not talking about programs here, we are talking about people.

When you decide to ignore “warnings” and “errors” like this, they do not vanish into thin air. Quite the opposite, they cause real pain to real people, and when not addressed, they will keep doing so.

By tolerating bad actors, you are not taking a neutral stance. You are siding with the agressor over the victim, enabling them to spread their abuse unhindered. Bad actors are fundamentally louder and more aggressive than good actors. Left unchecked, they will cause a slow but steady shift in any community, as is painfully observable in communities like Hackernews.

• zacher_glachl@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

That’s all too bad and obviously I’d rather everyone was well behaved and happy. But I’m sorry to say I still don’t care enough to want to constantly read about this stuff in spaces that are supposed to be about technology (in the case of technical mailing lists and Github issues, literally exclusively) instead of people.

I don’t know what your exact issue with Hackernews is, I rarely visit it.