Please. Captcha by default. Email domain filters. Auto-block federation from servers that don’t respect. By default. Urgent.

meme not so funny

And yes, to refute some comments, this publication is being upvoted by bots. A single computer was needed, not “thousands of dollars” spent.

• imaqtpie@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Btw, what’s the deal with your instance? I noticed you’re from one of the original servers from 4 years ago. Do you know why it was founded or can you direct me to some information?

I’m from the reddit migration, although a bit more experienced than most (having been here over 2 weeks makes me a unicorn on my server).

I’d like to spread some more knowledge among my fellow newbies about the history of the platform and what kind of different servers are out there. Problem is, I don’t have any knowledge! Help!

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 year ago

Ah, I see. So tchncs.de hosts other federated platforms, and someone probably decided to set up a Lemmy site when it was originally created 4 years ago. But it was likely pretty empty until the past couple weeks.

Ok good to know, I don’t really know about XMPP/Jabber but I like what I see on wikipedia. Thanks!

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 year ago

I see. Lemmy is my first introduction to a decentralized, open source social media platform, and I’m just so excited about all the possibilities federation can provide.

• HTTP_404_NotFound@lemmyonline.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I admin a decent sized facebook group, at 10.8k members currently.

Luckily, the facebook group is specifically for people living in a certain geographical area. As such, I am able to make questions, only somebody living in the area would know.

You would be surprised, there are LOTS of spammers who answer all of the questions. (Just- getting the wrong answer on the area-specific questions)

Duct-cleaning spam has been a real problem. lmao.

• HTTP_404_NotFound@lemmyonline.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Honestly- I am surprised to find as much spam/scam/etc… on a facebook group whose purpose is… well, related to a small area in a midwestern town…

Also- I constantly regret taking on moderation and administration of this group. Moderating facebook sucks. :-/