• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Only if you think developing small nuclear reactors is a bad thing. I think it’s a good thing.

• Fubarberry@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yeah, there’s definitely some parallels between how people negatively reacted to crypto and the current wave of reactions towards AI. My personal theory is that a lot of people are becoming hostile towards big tech, and anything that’s seen as the next big thing in tech will quickly get negative reactions.

• Fubarberry@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I honestly think crypto (as a currency, not an investment opportunity) has real useful potential. A non-government controlled form of money that can be used internationally and privately is actually really useful. Problem is everyone started buying into it as a pyramid scheme investment instead of buying into it for its value as a form of currency. Blockchain has some other uses too, I know some privacy focused apps use it for syncing user privately.

AI also has great potential, it can do things that were otherwise not possible with modern tech. It’s definitely not as efficient as the other methods, but that’s a moot point when regular computer systems aren’t capable of something and an AI system can.

Biggest issue with both is that they’re a technology that’s suited to specific things, but the “all-in on crypto” or “all-in-on-ai” approach is wasteful and causes a lot of problems along the way.