• Programmer Belch
    link
    fedilink
    English
    18 months ago

You don’t need to make him dump all of his money all at once. Make an investment plan so that sum of money doesn’t disturb the market, extend the dump for two-three years and you can put 100 million without destroying the system

• @Sludgeyy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      18 months ago

I didn’t say you needed to make them dump it all at once, but no matter how you do it, you’re introducing more money into the economy.

Make an investment plan so that sum of money doesn’t disturb the market

Again, great the market isn’t disturbed and stocks are still worth a billion total. You’re still going to introduce another billion into the economy in “two-three” years by giving it to the poor.

The whole point of taking money from billionaires is to affect the economy. There’s no point in doing it if it’s not going to affect anything.

• Programmer Belch
        link
        fedilink
        English
        08 months ago

The money is already in the economy, it is just not moving hands. When talking about disturbing the economy I was alluding to inflation, lots of poor families will gladly welcome that money. Also if we allowed us to take a little bit more, the social services will be allowed to improve substantially

• @Sludgeyy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          18 months ago

Say I invented the cure for cancer today and started the business Cancer Cure Inc. tomorrow.

I own 100% of the shares of the company. Say there are 100 shares.

Each share of Cancer Cure Inc. would be valued at X/100 amount of money because Cancer Cure Inc. would be valued at X.

If Cancer Cure Inc. company was valued at a billion dollars. Each share would be worth 10 million dollars.

I would be seen as a billionaire because I own the 100 shares. Yet I haven’t sold a single share. No money has exchanged hands for the shares.

A billion dollars doesn’t just magically enter the economy because Cancer Cure Inc. exists. It would take an existing billion dollars to buy my shares.

Now, if people wanted to give me a billion dollars in cash for my 100 shares, and I sold them. I’d have a billion dollars in cash, and the people would have a billion dollars in Cancer Cure Inc. stock.

Now, if the government takes my billion dollars in cash and hand that to the people, they now have a billion dollars in stock and a billion dollars in cash.

It doesn’t matter if I own 100 stocks of Cancer Cure Inc. or if 100 different wealthy people own 1 stock each. What changed is that there is now 1 billion more cash floating in the economy.

That’s what causes inflation

I’m not saying it’s right. Capitalism has winners and losers, rich and poor. It’s just how the capitalism system has to work.

• @xenspidey@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            18 months ago

The people on here want you to work hard and take all the risk, create Cancer Cure Inc. Then take all your company and give it to the workers so you have nothing.