• Faceman🇦🇺
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

It’s a neat website, but it is very America specific.

For example, I’m Australian and I wasn’t taught about slavery or genocide of our native people in high school. Hell, I was taught that the Stolen generation was a misnomer and children were only taken voluntarily or as an act of mercy… I graduated in 2008 so it wasn’t exactly the dark ages. Referring to the planned exterminations of the natives as “battles” and “conflicts” at best was another one. they didn’t even mention the shit that went down in Tasmania.

it’s not just the dumb stuff like food pyramids and taste zones, even in schools today history is being glossed over

• Pregnenolone@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I’m also a 2000s Australian high schooler and we had a notorious lack of Australian history taught to us. My school preferred to teach us the histories of pretty much every other country but our own. We didn’t learn a single thing about indigenous history at all, bad or good.

• sanpedropeddler@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I had a history teacher in (US) high school who was not afraid at all to tell his students the whole truth about stuff like this. Its too bad he was the only one not allowed to teach government classes.