• rikoniumOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I’ve done things to my Sorento most shouldn’t off-pavement (the crossover, not the BOF one, good AWD system and transmission I’d say until the engine seizes - probably graduating to a 4Runner when I get the chance for tougher things), there have been a number of times I’ve slid onto my front skid plate.

Disappointed this “skid plate” seemingly wouldn’t stand up to that.

• somethingsnappy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

As a proud Sorento owner (cheapest awd 3 row by 15k when i bought it), it is barely good on dirt, off road, or on rocks. To be fair, I haven’t busted the skid plate. That is mostly because it doesn’t handle well in rough terrain, so I don’t push it.

• rikoniumOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Ayy, fellow 15k budget buyer! Except I was more into that I could lay down flat + my bike fits in the back with the wheels on. (2016)

I forgot to note in my comment that my skid plate is an aftermarket one - 1/4" aluminum, not the stock plastic/fibery cover.

Personally, it’s handled everything I’ve thrown at it well. Mud, sand, dirt, rocks within the limits of it’s dimensions, but I also have some light AT/trail tires on so those help too. I did say I liked the AWD system but it’s not user serviceable sadly and seems to be built and designed to fail eventually. (replaced AWD clutch earlier this year, cha-ching!) The big issue is obviously there isn’t much headroom for errors or tougher conditions.