These memes are much like health care… As an american I dont get it.

• pete_the_cat@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Even though I studied German for years idioms and sentence structure still throw me off. I tried to translate that looking up only the words I didn’t remember and figured “dein Scheiss Fahrrad” was “your shit bike” and Kriegen is to catch (or get I guess in this context), so I was like “No, you catch your shit bike not back” doesn’t make sense grammatically in English, so I put it into Google Translate and it translated it as “No, you won’t get your damn bike back”. Maybe it’s because I learned High German and only ever used it in formal settings 95% of the time but it still throws me off, I have a hell of a time trying to understand spoken German because I don’t have the time to parse it mentally most of the time.

• Magnetar@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

In German is the word order simply different than in English. That stands in simple sentences not too much out, but if I, like now, try a sentence to build, that more complex and harder to understand is, will you that notice or in the worst case so much confused be that you it not understand can will.

• Samsy@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Germans have the same problem with english, too. Most of the time, I built the grammar in a sentence like I would do in german.

• HerbalGamer@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

in case you need context: German soldiers famously took dutch peoples bikes during the occupation in WW2

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Aber ich bin amerikanische und sprechen zwei sprechen ist schwierig. Können wir englisch amerikanische sprechen bitte?