I’m not on Twitter, so I get my news elsewhere, but most of the actual pictures I see are from here. So is there some kind of bias where only the fascist imagery gets posted here in the the dunk tank? Or do the libs scrolling through Ukrainian posts on Twitter literally see and ignore fascist imagery on every single post? Like, if they see 1000 Ukrainian soldiers, will they see 1000 fascist symbols?

• Frank [he/him, he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

The amount of brigading and vitriol seen in this community is probably pro Russian agents.

beep boop I am a communist robot beep boop I am here to subvert americas precious bodily fluids boop beep death to capitalism

Brigading is when you post on an active discussion in your home instance and the more posting you do the more brigading it is.

Take your ball and go home. You have no power here.

• InappropriateEmote [comrade/them, undecided]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I’m not saying it doesn’t exist. I’m saying it’s probably over reported on.

No, it’s criminally underreported in the West because it’s harmful to the narrative that they have to maintain to justify how they insist on perpetuating the war at all costs.

It doesn’t help that one of Russias main premises for invading is de nazification.

It only “doesn’t help” if your default assumption is that Russia is always lying about everything. If you recognize that Ukraine has a deep and systemic problem with literal Nazis (which it does), then it becomes obvious that Russia is simply using this fact, justifiably so, as a reason for its role in the conflict.

every report and image that can’t be traced back to it original source and tied to the Ukrainian military should be viewed skeptically as possible propaganda.

Go ahead and do that then, and maybe you’ll end up at the correct conclusion that the Ukrainian military is fundamentally a Nazi military. Also try this, look up even western news articles from before 2022 and note how they aren’t shy about pointing this fact out. Look at the image @KittyBobo@hexbear.net posted here if you don’t want to take the time to confirm this yourself.

The amount of brigading and vitriol seen in this community is probably pro Russian agents.

There is no “brigading,” it’s just that this is one of the few spaces where voices that are contrary to the dominant western narrative aren’t silenced or immediately overwhelmed. And no, lol, it’s not bots or “agents,” you just aren’t used to seeing those contrary opinions I just mentioned, and it’s easier to blame it on bots/agents than it is to actually engage with well-reasoned arguments you aren’t usually exposed to that challenges your own stance. It’s not easy having to recognize you’ve been lied to and your stance is based on faulty premises, but it is very easy to say “Bots! Agents! Disinformazia!”

edit: fixed a link

• daisy@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

No, it’s criminally underreported in the West because it’s harmful to the narrative that they have to maintain to justify how they insist on perpetuating the war at all costs.

This is the one thing that gives me a small sliver of hope for those of us in the west. Popular opinion is still such that “nazi = villain” even in NATO member states, as the recent Canadian parliamentary debacle showed. We’re not so far gone that the modern fascists and their enablers are able to openly talk about their admiration for the nazis in the mainstream media.