• LordChaos82
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

A simple solution would be to ask Meta to opensource Facebook, WhatApp, Instagram and whatever their federated instance would be called code and in return, they can federate with the fediverse. I think that will show their true intentions on how much love they have for the opensource community. Put the ball in their court and if they agree, they will be welcomed to the fediverse as good faith actors.

Just my 2 cents.

• mobyduck648@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is still a ‘frog and the scorpion’ kind of situation I think, Meta is fundamentally predatory and incapable of good faith as a matter of collective psychology and culture. They’re a direct analogue of Big Tobacco and should be as welcome in the Fediverse as a diagnosis of the Ebola virus in my opinion.

• Kronk@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

welcomed… as good faith actors

Haha! I will never see Meta as a good faith actor on the internet

• tangentism@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Saw this elsewhere

oh, here’s some JUICY rumored details about meta’s plans for the fediverse

tl;dr “Meta will only federate with select larger instances from the beginning. There will be contracts which also provide for financial compensation for the instance owners.”

can’t entirely verify their validity but it’s still worth posting just in case

• Lucien@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Oh wow didn’t know that. This is awful - people should defederate from any instances which accept meta money as well

• orsetto@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Also people in those instances should migrate away from them in favor of others.

• tangentism@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It sounds like its typical of what they would do: offer money to bigger instances and the admins might be tempted to help pay for server costs, etc then spurn smaller instances to break their morale.

Its a land grab basically and the response should be that any instance that takes a penny from them is instantly defederated.

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The problem is that’ll be a very tempting offer, seeing as afaik there’s not really any way to monetize lemmy instances and they’re all running out of people’s pockets

• repurpose8513@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Or they could just build on the fendiverse because the fendiverse was created so people like you and all the other unhappy people can’t gatekeep just because you don’t like them. Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The whole idea of it being decentralised is to stop companies like meta coming in and turning it into just another capitalism machine

Theoretically I’d hope the admins of all the bigger Lemmy instances would refuse to federate with them on account of the fact it would largely collapse the federated network into one big blob of everyone on the same server that is controlled by a corporation that’s demonstrated time and time again not to have consumer rights at heart in the slightest