I just ordered a refurbished steam deck :D

Because of all the great reviews still, long after launch and because i’m very enthousiastic about being able to use it as both a handheld console on the train and as a full blown desktop at home. I’ve honestly long been waiting for such devices… And wonder why android phones still don’t really do that.

Now, regarding the docking station: the official one is quite pricey.

It does not matter at all that the charging of the dock is rated at 60W, which is more than the steam deck needs, right?

Would this thing do the trick? I’l need to connect 1 usb dongle for mouse and keyboard in the usb 2 port, 1 hdmi to screen, 1 usb 3 to external harddisk and then the charging. SD is nice to have, don’t really need it. I don’t care that the deck will be laying flat on a desk instead of being able to use it standing up as a tiny second screen.

• lotanis
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I’d get this instead: JSAUX Docking Station Compatible with Steam Deck/ROG Ally, 5-in-1 Steam Deck Dock with HDMI 2.0 4K@60Hz, 100Mbps Ethernet, Dual USB-A 2.0 and 100W USB-C Charging Port for Valve Steam Deck-HB0602 https://amzn.eu/d/c71hbV8

It’s a fairly well known dock for the Deck, and seems (based on feedback on Reddit) that it’s more reliable than the official one if anything.

That was my conclusion from research, so I’ve got it and it’s worked flawlessly for several months.

• jemikwa@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I use this one and never have issues. I also have jsaux’s high power wall plug which is great for general use charging and powering this dock

• swordsmanluke@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I bought this back before the official dock was released and I’m still using it. It’s worked perfectly for me. I have it connected up to HDMI out for my tv and I used to have two Steam Controller USB dongles, but I switched to using Bluetooth-enabled XBone controllers.

Anyway, +1 for the JSAUX dock.