Hello. I just want to ask, I already tried search many resources, but I still can’t find a way to reduce battery drain while sleep on Ubuntu on Dell laptop.

I seen that it use S0ix, the new standard that many manufacturer use but when sleep it drains a lot battery, in just 6 hours the battery gone 0.

Any help is appreciated. This is company laptop and it requires me use ubuntu (I don’t like it but I don’t have options to changes OS/distro).

Thanks

• rikonium
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’m sure you tried but the definitive option would be a BIOS switch to change it. Sometimes is says S3, sometimes it says Linux sleep (like my personal ThinkPad)

But if you don’t have that toggle at all, the firmware probably dumped S3 entirely - especially if it’s a relatively new machine and you’ll have to lean much more on Hibernate like my new work ThinkPad.

I would investigate whether an older BIOS version still has the S3 toggle since some BIOS updates have removed S3 I believe but a search of forums would probably turn up enough complaints to hit your radar.

• SALT@lemmy.my.idOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Thinkpad still has it? T14?

On dell I already check it, they don’t have it sadly.

• rikonium
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

You’d have to check, my personal X1 Extreme Gen 4 has the toggle but my new work T14 Gen 3 does not.