I don’t use the Play store (don’t want a Google account) and prefer to stay away Github because Microsoft. Thanks.

Added: Thanks for the links! Unfortunately it looks like the app requires Android 8.0+ and my phone is still on Android 7. Is that inherent to Jetpack or some other part of the app technology? It would be good to not have to keep churning to the latest shiny.

• solrize@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks. Unfortunately I’m unable to login to either lemmy.world or lemmy.ml from a mobile browser (Fennic). The spinner thingie just spins forever. The only way I can post from mobile right now is with Jerboa.

Yeah that makes sense about Jerboa 0.34 vs Lemmy 0.18. I guess I will wait for lemmy.world to update to 0.18, then update my Jerboa installation. Eventually I think I want to write my own client (it will have a web interface that looks like news.ycombinator.com) and maybe run my own Lemmy instance so my reading is not tracked.

Also, Lemmy on a mobile browser uses a completely ridiculous amount of bandwidth. I haven’t checked how much it uses with Jerboa. But it is way more bloaty than the Reddit app I used to use was.

• Azzu
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

You could use Firefox on mobile and use ublock origin to auto-block images & third-party content by default, then it doesn’t use almost any bandwidth. I’d imagine jerboa uses similar amounts since it also displays images without any data saver settings as I can see.

• solrize@lemmy.mlOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago
          1. Lemmy under firefox uses a ton of mobile bandwidth separately from images, maybe because of javascript bloat.

2. I’m unable to login to Lemmy from mobile firefox (the spinner just keeps spinning), though I can browse without logging in.

I do like the idea of keeping track of read and unread posts on the client side, so maybe that capability can make it into the app. I.e. I’d like the communities screen to show me for each community, how many posts I haven’t looked at yet. I’d similarly like the community view to show me threads with unread comments. Usenet readers have had this feature since forever and it made Reddit a regression by comparison.