Australians have resoundingly rejected a proposal to recognise Aboriginal people in its constitution and establish a body to advise parliament on Indigenous issues.

Saturday’s voice to parliament referendum failed, with the defeat clear shortly after polls closed.

• DogMuffins
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Sorry mate, this is basically a misunderstanding of the process.

For example, the constitution empowers the government to raise taxes. The constitution doesn’t include any “plan” for raising taxes, it’s up to our elected representatives to argue over the best way to do that and write and maintain legislation to do that.

This was a question to the Australian people as to whether you / we wanted parliament to develop a plan, and maintain that plan as society evolves in the decades to come.

liquidate the Australian billionaires who raped our country for it’s resources for profit and give those proceeds to groups dedicated to improving indigenous people’s situation

I also disagree on this I’m sorry. I mean yeah we need to address the lack of royalties being charged for our resources and IDGAF what happens to billionaires, but it’s well established fact that money can not solve this problem. Sure any actions will require some amount of money, but just giving money to indigenous corps in and of itself does not solve inequality.

• LemmysMum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Sorry mate, this is basically a misunderstanding of the process.

That’s exactly my point. Can’t expect a democratic population to vote on a lack of information.