Killarney used to accept it as a price of being a tourist town: ubiquitous disposable coffee cups spilling from bins, littering roads and blighting the area’s national park.

The County Kerry town went through about 23,000 cups a week – more than a million a year – adding up to 18.5 tonnes of waste.

Not any more. Three months ago, Killarney became the first town in Ireland to phase out single-use coffee cups. If you want a takeaway coffee from a cafe or hotel, you must bring your own cup or pay a €2 deposit for a reusable cup that is returned when the cup is given back.

• RohanWillAnswer
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I recently visited Killarney and I thought it was a great system. As a tourist, the €2 was no big deal to have a cup for the whole week. Then I just returned it before I left and got the money back. They do this all over Germany and have branded cups for each town. It would be cool to see it more widely done elsewhere too.

• ares35@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

branded cups for each town

€2 is also a pretty cheap souvenir of a trip. my mom would have collected one of each.

• Resolved3874@lemdro.id
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Yeah I’m 100% not giving that cup back and am collecting as many different ones as I can.

Admittedly I’ll probably bring them home and never use them and throw them away in a few years because omg I have way to many cups I can’t handle this anymore. But still.