cross-posted from: https://lemmy.ml/post/6528233

I’m working on building a personal alternative to Spotify and YouTube Music and I’ve hit two roadblocks.

1. Genre labeling in my library is inconsistent and manually updating 2500+ MP3s isn’t feasible. I’ve tried using beets with the LastFM plugin in quiet mode but no luck. Any ideas?

2. Where can I bulk download diverse music catalogs? I’ve snagged some ‘top 90s/80s/hiphop/etc’ collections, but 2500 songs don’t go far.

What I miss about Spotify and YouTube Music is their ability to auto-play similar tunes based on my current selection. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Faceman🇦🇺
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

For bulk diverse, pre-tagged and sorted collections you really have to go to p2p like soulseek.

For tagging picard is really the only option that can handle bulk tagging with some level of trust and authority, but definitely have a backup or work in chunks just in case it goes awry.

For a spotify replacement, Plexamp is really doing well as long as you have decently tagged media. It can do all the mood radio and playlist suggestion stuff that Spotify and others have been doing.

• UnRelatedBurner@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Sorry for necroposting, but can I bulk download a custom playlist from soulseek? I understand it as a semi-private torrent tracker, so I’m guessing I’ll have to seed back every single music (even if it’s not forced I still will). That’ll make it even more annoying, all files are stored twice, once sorted and dumped into a filefor playback, and once inside the "torrent"s folder.

Also also do I have to look out for something before jumping head first into soulseek?

• Faceman🇦🇺
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Soulseek is more like an old school peer to peer network like kazaa, limewire, winmx, ed2k etc.

I haven’t seen any clients with a playlist downloader, though that sounds like a cool feature to suggest.

You don’t have to seed.

• Haphazard9479@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Plexamp is great. I have not spent too much extra time tagging tracks. Plexamp does a good job of seeing your tracks and albums and catagorizing them into genres amd moods.