Is HEVC (8-bit)/AAC a good, modern CODEC combination for rebuilding & reducing my library size without compromising quality? Helpful feedback would be appreciated.

• Faceman🇦🇺
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

While I tend to avoid encoding wherever possible, I use H265 10Bit at low RF to archive non-critical libraries (old TV shows in some users personal libraries, 1080p movies more than 1 year old and over 20gb etc…).

my average size reduction going from a 1080p Bluray remux of 35-40gb is about 50% with no significant effect to image quality. High action or high grain movies end up a bit larger, slower movies with no action and most animations compress a bit smaller. works well overall.

basically any modern device can decode them and the image quality tends to be a bit better than 8bit.

I’d like to go with AV1, but very few of my client devices can decode it, so its not worth the trouble to save a few percent,

• Rodrigo_de_Mendoza@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I have a problem with 10-Bit though. When I try to encode more than 1 file in 10-Bit with the HEVC_AMF ffmpeg encoder, my CPU usage goes to 100% and stays. And with 1000s of files to do. Well, you can imagine. Ugh!

• Faceman🇦🇺
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Sounds like a bug in the encoder perhaps. I dont have that issue with my setup, but I’m not using AMD GPUs