Could be areas of improvement as well

• ck_
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I have to agree on those two cons. Contributing to nixpkgs is a major pain point for me. I don’t mind having to get PRs reviewed, but the speed and the lack of consistency have really put me of from doing that again. Quality control is also a major pain point. Nixpks supports a bunch of platforms and architectures, but anything other than tier 1 (x86_64-linux, gcc + glibc ) can and will just randomly break because maintainers and contributors don’t usually care for anything that’s not right in front of their eyeballs.

Personally, I avoid touching the monorepo like the plague and stick to putting everything into flakes if possible.

• jeffhykin@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Agreed, flakes are the way. Its just making them searchable hasn’t been easy/realistic until recently.

Also I feel like flakes are kind of tainted by always pulling in nixpkgs as a massive dependency chain. I think there should be a standard library separate from the packages, and nixpkgs.lib is 80% pure functions. So I’ve been working on making a “lib” flake that

1. Is 100% pure (no stdenv)
      2. is versioned
      3. doesnt link/depend on all of nixpkgs

I know it still won’t be practical to avoid depending on nixpkgs, but I think its a step towards breaking up nixpkg into organized/managable chunks.

• ck_
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I actually think I have seen this being discussed, but does not seem to be at the RFC level yet. Probably drowned in all of the flakes vs monorepo discussions.

One prerequisite for this that’s in the making are flake versions: https://github.com/NixOS/rfcs/pull/158

• jeffhykin@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Oh cool! I didn’t know about that. Maybe I can work eith the other person who is doing that.