I’m looking for recommendations for a dotfile manager - there are so many out there I’ve got a bit of options paralysis!

I’d like a system that can backup all my dotfiles - with version management - and, if I nuked my home directory, could restore them all for me with a simple command.

Thanks in advance for you suggestions!

• dino
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

chezmoi, although I am not sure I like it. Its the first I tried and some stuff seems very complicated.

• stepanzak@iusearchlinux.fyi
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

What do you find complicated? I’m happy to help you with it. It also seemed complicated to me, but once I understood it it was pretty simple to use (unless you wanna do advanced stuff.)

• dino
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

The way the autocommiting works is weird, have to use regular git commands for that. Also templating doesn’t work for me. I was trying to establish a file with the same content across multiple devices in different subfolders but it kind of didn’t work out.

• stepanzak@iusearchlinux.fyi
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

That’s unfortunate, because I commit manually (I want to write the messages) and I never needed to template the filepaths. I’m using file templates and it works flawlessly tho.