I’m currently on Win11 but I’m getting that familiar Linux itch and want to dual boot a while again. I tend to gravitate towards Ubuntu simply because it’s so big and well supported by most things.

I’ve run Arch in the past but I’ve gotten too old and lazy for that if I’d be completely honest. I have played with manjaro and endeavour though… and opensuse tumbleweed, rolling is kind of nice.

Not sure what I’d try out first this time so I figured I’d get some inspiration from you guys!

• soulsource
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m running Gentoo on my gaming PC, and would not want anything else.

It’s very customizable, as it allows to tweak packages’ optional dependencies at compile time. It’s also rolling release, so no stress with distribution upgrades. Despite that, it’s also very stable (most of the time…).

So far the only downside I’ve seen is that updates can take a while, as almost all packages get compiled from source.

• nlm@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Gentoo is… well I wouldn’t exactly call it nice, but neat? :)

I’ve played around with it a bunch but grew impatient with it. The compile times was terrible for me back then.

Gentoo and Arch do have their niche though. Takes a bit longer to set up but they’re quite customized to your liking when you’re done.

• soulsource
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The compile times are quite OK on relatively modern hardware. I’ve been using a Ryzen 1700X up to last week, and except for WebKit I had no reason to complain. On my slightly dated Haswell laptop (from 2016) they are now starting to get on my nerves, but it’s still tolerable.

The only exception is WebKit, which takes forever to compile and which also tends to get installed multiple times, in slightly different versions (one version for Evolution, one for Liferea, one for Epiphany - and yes, those 3 programs all belong to the Gnome desktop). I’ve now set up ccache just for WebKit, but haven’t had to install a WebKit update since, so I have no idea how much the ccache helps…

Sorry for going on a tangent here. Back on topic: The setup for Gentoo takes as long as you are willing to invest time into it… The more time you invest, the more customized the system gets.

I’m currently running Sway window manager, with a ton of other not-so-usual tools (some of which I wrote myself, like my status bar application), and I’m really happy with how my PC currently feels. My desktop looks like it just escaped the early 1990s, but it’s so fast and just doesn’t get in the way ever…

• nlm@beehaw.orgOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I can see the charm in that tbh.

I like the idea of Gentoo, it’s a pretty cool concept. Just a time consuming one as well. :) I remember my problem with it was that I couldn’t really decide how I wanted my system to end up while I was setting it up… which kind of defeats the purpose a bit I felt.

• soulsource
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Yeah, and most of the customization you can do on any other distribution too. The main advantage of Gentoo is that it’s Rolling Release, so there won’t be any distribution upgrades breaking the cusotmizations.

The same is true for Debian Testing or Arch too, though.

• nlm@beehaw.orgOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Or openSUSE Tumbleweed :)

Is Debian Testing actually rolling I thought they froze it before new stable releasea?

• soulsource
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Yeah, it’s not fully “rolling”, as new (non-critical) updates can get delayed for quite some time while packages are getting stabilized for a Stable release.

• nlm@beehaw.orgOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

It’s strange really. I’ve used Ubuntu on and off since… 8.4 or something like that but I’ve never tried Debian. Don’t even know why.

• soulsource
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 year ago

I’ve used Debian Stable some years ago at University on “my” office PC. For a work PC it was the perfect distribution. The “stable” in the name is well deserved. It’s so stable, it’s a bit boring, to be honest. However, that’s just what one needs at work. The PC has to run (a crash equals lost work), and maintenance burden needs to be low.