• gohixo9650
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

isn’t this more or less what they’re doing now? The difference is that the ads are coming from different server and have an overlay on top with a timer and a skip. As long as the ads are coming from a different server they will be detectable. Also as long as the ads have overlays they are also detectable. They would need to make the ads be served from the same server that serves the video and eliminate the overlays.

• shrugal@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

We could build a public database (like SponsorBlock) of known ad video slices and detect them that way.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

There will always be a way to detect and block ads.

I’m not worried.

• TauZero@mander.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

That’s why Google is pushing hard their Web Environment Integrity. It’s DRM for the browser! They want the TPM chip in your computer to attest that the code running processing the video stream is authentic. Then you can’t slice out the ads because you do not have physical access to the inside of TPM. With HDCP encryption on the HDMI video output, you gonna need to point a literal video camera at the physical screen to DVR the video and slice out the ads later.

They’ve been working hard for decades to lock down the video pipeline with TPM and HDCP and now WEI. They said “don’t worry about it” and we let them. They are really close to snapping the trap shut!

Now please excuse me, my tongue is falling off with all the acronyms…