After decades of messy, thoughtless design choices, corporations are using artificial intelligence to sell basic usability back to consumers

• beeng
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Something like the Linux unix philosophy of doing 1 thing and doing it well comes to mind. FOSS no less.

• beeng
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Just cos it’s Foss doesn’t mean it follows the Linux unix philosophy

• whofearsthenight@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I honestly think it’s mostly a problem with the idea that the Office apps are extremely bloated, kitchen sink apps. No one should be looking at Word or Libre Writer and thinking “I’m going to build a contracting system for my clients out of that” or “I bet I could make an inventory system in there” and yet…

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Yep.

People try to use Word as a desktop publishing app then complain how it shifts images around. Thats because it’s for documents, which flow page to page.

Use Publisher for DTP, or a real, industry app. Same problem of using Excel for a database purpose.

• lloram239@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

That philosophy has never been successfully been applied in the GUI space and especially not in the Linux world. Bash/Shell gets away with it because it has pipes and scripting that allow you to plug different apps together to form something bigger. In the Windows world they tried something like that with OLE and NeXTSTEP did something with DisplayPostscript, but none of it stuck around to become a foundational layer for GUI apps the way pipes are for command line tools. These days all GUIs are back to being monolithic blobs.

• beeng
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Begs the question for gui’s then or?

I always wonder what another interaction scheme would look like if it weren’t for “click”, I’ve always wondered about tunnels or roads, like we do in real life, to continuously travel toward a destination, rather than discretely click.

Didn’t have to be this way. CLI is underrated as any computer dev knows, power is in the knowledge. How about we apply the AI search problem to cli commands, what happens then?

• lloram239@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

I always wonder what another interaction scheme would look like if it weren’t for “click”, I’ve always wondered about tunnels or roads, like we do in real life, to continuously travel toward a destination, rather than discretely click.

There is the filter graph or node graph, found in things like Unreal Blueprints, Blender or ComfyUI. That’s kind of the GUI version of a pipe and even quite a bit more powerful as you can have multiple inputs and outputs. But it’s just something individual apps implement, it’s not something any OS has as a native primitive.

For something a little more CLI-like, there is Archy, which is kind of like Emacs, where programs are just commands that operate on the same bit of data, not complete separate things, but that never made it past some prototypes and it’s hard to see how it could work for the whole OS, where you have to deal with a wide variety of file and data formats. It had a commercial predecessor with Canon Cat in 1987, but that also ended up a dead end.

Another thing is Project Xandau, this is more of an alternative to the WWW than just a GUI/OS, but it would have had some neat properties like links to and quotes from other documents being actual references to those documents, not copy&paste. But again, nothing but prototypes.

Unix shells just assume everything is text, which makes all the small tools possible. But the GUI world contains a lot more than just plain text, which makes it difficult to come up with any universal scheme that can have the same flexibility. Even HTML, which is the closed thing to an universal data format in the modern GUI world, fails quite miserably here as, as it ends up being just a format for content consumption, not a format that is used in the creation and management of the data.

At the current pace we’ll have AGI long before we have any real innovation in GUIs. Will probably end up with StarTrek like interface sooner or later where you just say what you want and the AI figures out how to get it, ChatGPT already isn’t that far off and can handle a lot of simple grep/sed like tasks quite well, even shell one liner can be produces with a reasonable rate of success. What’s is a way to let it access and operate on local data.

• Rodeo@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

That’s the UNIX philosophy, not the Linux philosophy. That idea predates Linux by like a decade.

• beeng
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Apologies, but I’ll also take it since Linux is a subset of Unix. But right you are, it originates there… But is Linux the most interaction we have with Unix like OS in this day and age?

• Rodeo@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Probably. Mac is Unix like but basically all server infrastructure is running on Linux.

• RubberElectrons@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

There’s a lot to dislike about systemd, and some things to like. Most big Linux distributions are using it now; in regards to this comment though, systemd is a fast executable trying to handle many core system jobs at once. Instead of Cron, openRC startup scripts, networkmanager for networking… Systemd is trying to do it all.