Hey fellow Linux enthusiasts! I’m curious to know if any of you use a less popular, obscure or exotic Linux distribution. What motivated you to choose that distribution over the more mainstream ones? I’d love to hear about your experiences and any unique features or benefits that drew you to your chosen distribution.

• dino
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

What made you go away from OpenBSD? Really curious, did you actually use it as a desktop system?

• davefischer@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Yes, although the thing on my desk is just an x-term & media player, so “desktop system” doesn’t mean that much…

Mostly video performance (1080 vid stuttered badly, while it plays fine on the same machine under linux.) & compatability. (Not that I want to run a browser on my x-term, but it would be nice to have as a fallback option. Can’t install anything recent.) Oh, and extended attributes in the filesystem. I REALLY like being able to add name=val tags to a file. It’s immensely useful. That might be my favorite feature of linux? Funny.

Also, I was in the midst of switching from Solaris to Linux on my server, so it just seemed like a good idea to run the same OS on the desktop.