• localhost443
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Nuclear is green though, so France is a good place to be importing from. It also has the lowest mortality rate per kWh of all power sources, Chernobyl included.

• Waker@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Not saying nuclear isn’t green btw.

I, personally, am all for nuclear. However given the choice I’d rather my country invests in wind geothermal, solar and others. Nuclear can be a liability as we’ve seen in Ukraine.

• merc@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Is Portugal a good place for wind energy? It seems like it should be with a long coastline that faces west from Europe.

I can’t wait for the day when places that have renewable energy advantages become net exporters, supplying renewable power to the rest of the world.

• Waker@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Yep! Maybe not the best overall in Europe, but we do have some strong winds and also very sunny days so solar energy is also easy to come by.

In one of our archipelagos (Azores) we also have geothermal power plants since we have active vulcanos there.

Aditionally I think there were some major developments in harnessing the ocean’s waves so on that front, I think we would absolutely crush it.

• merc@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

That’s awesome. I wonder if the mountains would also make pumped hydroelectric possible too, so Portugal could use a clean method of storing power for when the wind was calm and the sun wasn’t shining.

• uis@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Novaya Kahovka power plant is very not nuclear tho

Spoiler alert

It is hydro power plant.

• Ziglin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I think there’s a nuclear power plant in Ukraine a lot of people know about in Chernobyl or something maybe? I’m guessing that’s what they’re hinting at.

• Waker@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Well that was just an example anyways. I thought it was nuclear but I might be wrong, never really looked too much into it.

Any nuclear power plant can become a liability during war times though. Hopefully it never comes to that, but you never know…

• OsrsNeedsF2P@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

When it comes to saving the environment, and considering you’re in the EU, the liability of nuclear as seen in Ukraine is minimal

• TalkingCat-@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I don’t know about the others but I don’t think I can really consider solar green, it needs a lot of silicon not only to make enough panels to have an impact but also needs the extraction of stuff for batteries too, still better than coal ig.