A very interesting video about the Thunderbird Project successful donation process and how KDE can improve them by following their step.

• smileyhead
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

May I ask the opposite? Why use JavaScript client from the web instead of desktop ones?

Most operating systems, excluding Windows, are shipping with decent native and fast email client. They are automatically updated with the system, again excluding Windows, integrate with other apps (for ex. right-click and share with mail), can store messages offline just in case and are overall nicer to use.

The only use case I think of is when using someone’s else computer and you don’t want to remember to log out, because browsers have “incognito” mode.

• saigot@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Because then I can access the same client from anywhere, any platform without having to worry about learning the interface for several different clients.

• Patch@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Most operating systems, excluding Windows, are shipping with decent native and fast email client.

Even Windows ships with one (“Mail”). I don’t have any real experience using it (on my Windows work laptop I have Outlook, and on everything else I use Thunderbird), but it looks fine to me.

I have no idea what the pricing scheme is for Outlook these days, but Outlook does remain genuinely excellent too.

• silmarine@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Sounds like you’re making an a point from privacy, which I agree with and subscribe to. But I feel like there’s something in your point that is missed in that the email provider has the emails still. If I have a Gmail account then I doubt it matters if I use thunderbird or not. So that pushes me to use a more privacy focused email provider but if they are then their web client should also be privacy focused. So if total privacy is the focus then hosting your own email service would be what is needed. But if privacy isn’t the point then convenience is more important. And going off the other replies to my question, the only reason is if you have multiple accounts and want them to be accessible from one place.

I have 2 main email accounts, 1 that is family and friends focused and 1 that is privacy/purchases/etc focused and I actually like them to be separated so thunderbird doesn’t sound very useful for my case. Not sure if there’s something I’m missing here but if there is then I am willing to read and learn. Especially when it comes to privacy focused stuff.

• smileyhead
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

No, it was not about privacy. From privacy standpoint there is no difference from email client running in browser or on desktop, both can have trackers and in both we need to trust the source. There are even selfhosted web email clients like RoundCube or Nextcloud Mail, that I use too but really rare.

• silmarine@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Ah okay, my bad. I misunderstood. I guess to be able to answer your opposite question I would have to try thunderbird myself and see if I still prefer web based or not. Otherwise I don’t have an answer to why I use web client over thunderbird other than it’s already there and ready when I set up my account.

• crank@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

You cant set up server side filters from any floss client for any platform afaik. If i am wrong someone plz tell me because it is the #1 problem every time. Always go back to webmail and proprietary mobile clients.

(Am talking about imap servers and generic clients. So not like proton etc.)

• ForbiddenRoot@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yes, it’s called “Mail” and I guess it’s the successor to “Outlook Express” from the old days. I have never actually used it though, but it’s certainly there.