• @thesmokingman@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    247 months ago

Awesome! I can’t wait to generalize the average of 10 cherry-picked games with tons of Linux work against the 2k+ in my library! I bet I can pick up CS2 with this knowledge and get 10%+ better performance!

The video is pretty neat. I’m just not sure what we gain from it.

• Reverse ModuleOP
      link
      English
      107 months ago

How are these cherry picked games? Did you maybe want me to benchmark the 2k games in your library? XD

Also CS2 is slower on Linux.

• @thesmokingman@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        87 months ago

I really like that you are benchmarking. I feel like there should also be something actionable here. What do I, as a Linux gaming consumer, need to look for? What are the things that will tell me a game will run better or worse?

• Reverse ModuleOP
          link
          English
          107 months ago

Usually on an AMD GPU things run better. Then you look at the API. If it’s a DX9/DX10/DX11 game it will most certainly run better on Linux. On the other hand if it’s a DX12 game you will probably get the same performance most usually and ±10% in a few cases.

So the main thing to remember is to use an AMD GPU on Linux. If you’re on Nvidia you’re better off with Windows most probably, unless you care enough for the workflow benefits Linux offers.

After that, it should be smooth sailing.