• @wreckage@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    187 months ago

I don’t even check protondb anymore. If it’s a single player game with no anticheats involved, I know it’ll work.

The only reason I still have a windows Partition, is due to the lack of HDR support on Linux.

• Rob Bos
      link
      fedilink
      English
      57 months ago

Is HDR just so amazing that it’s worth the hassle of using windows though? Games get shinier all the time, it’s not really exciting to me anymore. Give it a year and it’ll be in anyway, and people will be on to the next randomnhotness that they can’t possibly live without that somehow they were fine without the year previous.

• @sheogorath@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        77 months ago

If you’re using an actual HDR capable display, HDR is pretty amazing. I know it’s weird reading about it online, but the lighting seems so much more “real” when you’re playing games on HDR. You actually have to “see it to believe it” as you can’t see it from screenshots or from people taking pictures of their displays.

Windows 11 actually has a calibration tool similar to the ones at the console so you can get good HDR on Windows.

• LiveLM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        7 months ago

I see so many people struggling to get HDR working even on Windows I wonder if it’s really worth the trouble

• @halva
          link
          English
          47 months ago

i think it’s mostly due to how prevalent fake hdr monitors are

most people don’t understand it’s essentially impossible to get hdr without an OLED/microLED or MAYBE VA and keep buying into marketing bullshit, which leads them to having pretty shitty experiences

• @UnspecificGravity
          link
          English
          37 months ago

It’s not even implemented well in very many monitors. I think a lot of people just turn it in cause it’s supposed to be “better” even if it doesn’t make much of an actual difference.

• @sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      17 months ago

I occasionally do, but mostly if I’m intending to play it on my Steam Deck and it’s marked as unsupported or untested. That’s still pretty rare though.