RIP the only reliable website for grabbing APKs. I don’t even actually have an adblock on my side.

It’s still somewhat usable after you dismiss that message but CSS screws up.

Any good alternatives? I know I can use Aurora Store to get older versions of apps, but then I’ll have to find version codes for those somewhere. The advantage of APKMirror also was that it showed the minimum API required to run a specific version of an app (so I could find the last working version to install on Android 5 for example).

• CatUser
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Well, in that case you asked if there is any alternative and the only one I know is APKPure, and in any case, if you want me to download any specific apk just contact me by DM or here and I have no problem sending it to you, and you can use VirusTotal to verify that it is untouched.

• Arma@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

APKPure is no good btw. Most of the packages you get from there are in their own proprietary XAPK format, requiring you to install their extremely sketchy, filled with ads package installer to make any use of them, not to mention you probably can’t guarantee the app itself is unaltered by that point. (yes, that is for stuff APKMirror often/always has in standard APK).

I guess I could still use APKMirror with a proper adblock if I really have to (I probably would pay for that damn subscription if a) it wasn’t that expensive for something I use maybe once in two months and b) they didn’t start forcing it LIKE THIS), but, you know, all this really makes for a feel of internet literally being a dying star.

• young_broccoli@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

AFAIK xapk is not proprietary to APKpure and its safe. Its just a way to ease the installation of packages that require additional data (OBB) not contained in the apk to run. If you installed the same app from APKMirror (as an plain apk) you would need to then hunt for the obb files and “install” them manually for it to run. Packages that dont require this additional data are distributed as plain apk’s in APKpure, its only those that do that come in xapk format.

As for the sketchy installers, I’ve seen a couple of them and they suck, I agree. Fortunatelly I discovered the other day that an app called ZArchiver (a file browser developed mainly to manage compressed files) can install xapk’s without problem, its a quite competent file browser and its free, without ads.

Now if you still dont trust them you can try with the sites listed in FMHY

Edit: Just remembered a site called apk.support They too use xapk but they also offer downloads as zip files containig both apk and data or the option to download them separately directly from google servers. I’ve used it a couple of times without issues.

• Arma@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Oh, pardon my ignorance! I’ve had no idea these are plain archives and ZArchiver could handle them - still, I don’t get why APKPure would provide XAPKs for apps under 100 MB in size with no OBBs inside (example: Textra), other than to promote their installer.

edit: I guess this may be to distribute additional config APKs (language, architecture) in one file with the main app, so perhaps APKPure isn’t that guilty here.

That FMHY link is also incredibly helpful, thank you!