So I finally finished gathering the hardware for my first real homelab. I currently have a pi that I run nginx, searxng, and pihole, but I’m looking to move to something more hefty. I’ll probably leave pihole and nginx on the pi. I’m wanting to set up plex to host things for home use as well as a way to store photos, Documents, etc locally. Ideally my friends and I play games like valheim and icarus and I would like to be able to use a vm or container to host game servers when needed.

My hardware currently consists of an amd 4650g pro, 16gig ddr4, amd a520 mobo and 2 1tb m2s.

My question is I’m considering setting up proxmox for this but I wanted to see advice before I go to far. Is there a more preferred option? I’m not too hung up on cost but ideally I don’t want anything to run through like a host page off my network or something. And I would like something that will allow me to expand storage since 2tb isn’t really a lot

• HMN
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Unraid (you pay for how many disks you have in your array, you can get the unlimited one for like $119 - would have to double-check but it’s around 100 bucks, it’s not subscription-based, so once you buy it you have it for good). Been using it for years, it’s great and is pretty easy to set up. If you have any questions let me know. They’re constantly improving it.

• pete_the_cat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Fuck UnRAID and paying to use Debian with a webGUI slapped on top of it. Also they lock you into their platform once you start using their product. Their unRAID form of redundancy is proprietary, so you can’t just slap the same drives into another server and have them work.

• Grenfur@lemmy.oneOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Ohhh I may have to look into unraid then. Didn’t realize there was a one time deal. Thanks for the tips.