From Hardlimit

• @2ez@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      47 months ago

Ummm, I say that because I’m the friend in the friend group where the games don’t work sometimes, and I’m not going to pretend like that isn’t the case simply because I’m a FOSS advocate.

I own a steam deck, I have decades of experience with Linux as a Desktop, server, and even some years doing game development, so it’s not for a lack of effort.

It’s undoubtedly a fact that some mainstream games don’t work at all, or well enough that you’ll play seamlessly with your windows friends. Even protondb admits hundreds of outright borked games. Being dishonest about this does more harm than good.

It’s amazing what Steam, Valve, AMD, etc, have done recently for Linux gaming, but it’s not the YotLD yet.

• @2ez@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          -17 months ago

I think this community is a bit defensive. I have hundreds of games in my steam library that I play. A large number with multiplayer, I have had issues with my windows friends.

• @TrickDacy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            27 months ago

Ok well the context I have is that in a decade we went from Linux gaming not really being a thing to it being shockingly good. And people like you can’t wait to belittle this progress. When it’s 100% on par with windows, I feel like you would still look for a way to shit on it. Seriously 95% or more of my 200ish games run on Linux but it’s just too much to bear for you, reading something like that without getting personally offended

• Rustmilian
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        7 months ago

The only reason why Fortnite doesn’t work is because Epic refuses to enable Linux/Proton support in EAC.
        The game & the anti-cheat itself can work under Proton just fine, it’s Epic Games that’s the problem.

• @2ez@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        17 months ago

This is the sort of honest discourse we should be having in the community. The recent advances are nothing short of amazing, and I can play tons of great games with my windows friends, but there are some games, that left me, and sometimes them with terrible experiences.

Nothing like investing over an hour into a game with friends only to crash due to some Linux specific issue.

• Rustmilian
          link
          fedilink
          37 months ago

Nothing like investing over an hour into a game with friends only to crash due to some Linux specific issue.

There’s a feature called Compositor Handoffs coming to Wayland that’ll make it so crashes will never be a problem again. This feature can do 3 things :

• Act as a seamless crash recovery system where the exact state of the application is restored.
          • Act as a fully robust hibernation system where the exact state of the application is restored after full device poweroff for an indefinite amount of time.
          • Pass the application and it’s state between supported Desktop Environments and Window Managers on the fly.

We happen to have a working prototype rn, it just needs the kinks worked out.