One of these pulled up at my workplace today and I can not get over how stupid they look and that got me thinking, who thought making a shittier version of an Odyssey was a good idea.

This thing can’t be useful as a truck, can’t seat as many as a van, costs $50k and burns more gas then an Odyssey (10l/100km hwy vs 8l/100km hwy). Does anyone who drives these things think they are hot shit?

• rikonium
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Fuelly has the Ridgeline averaging 20 MPG with its competitors around 17-19 (likely bigger gap if you compare to full-sizers but will vary depending on powertrain) and the gap will likely be larger cruising so its fuel economy for a pickup is solid save for the newer and smaller Maverick (especially in hybrid guise) and Santa Cruz - their beds are shorter though at 4.5 and 4 feet I believe.

Gas V6 minivans are pretty similar too at around 20 MPG as well real-life.

Comparing crew cab short beds directly, the F-150 (not counting mirrors) is ~2 inches wider and ~20” longer.

But I agree on width though, I was considering a Passport and the 78.5” width of the Honda midsize family (also Pilot, Odyssey) is a turn-off although in minivan land the others are also chunky. Rather not shove an extra four inches into a parking spot if I can avoid it.

Honestly I’d commend a Ridgeline buyer for getting one as the “responsible choice” if it meets their requirements since that or the Santa Cruz are probably the least “I’m tough!” looking pickups.

• M0oP0o@mander.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Maybe that is what gets in my gears so much, that this is the more “responsible choice”. I was not comparing it to any crew cab (I think that four door trucks are a core issue) or any newer truck but the 1980s c20 it was parked near. I guess we have to look to the past for better fuel economy and size (and that is insane).