• @OptimusPrimeDownfall
    link
    6811 months ago

… feel that much of the anger from our recent decision around the downstream sources comes from either those who do not want to pay for the time, effort and resources going into RHEL or those who want to repackage it for their own profit. This demand for RHEL code is disingenuous.

Then remove all open source code from your code base. I don’t mean some, I mean all. Let’s see whose code you’re repackaging for your own profit.

• @NotBadAndYou@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I can’t help but notice how similar their phrasing is to Spez trying to justify why Reddit has yanked the rug out from under their third party app developers.

• @Nullroad@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        111 months ago

It’s not surprising. A lot of these CEOs run around in cliques. They have forums, news letters, Chatrooms, and social events. When Silicon Valley Bank went down, the CEO of the company I work for was giving us news from other CEOs he was talking to from a shared Chatroom they set up, basically a discord for CEOs.

The other point is that many CEOs are slaves to trend and have a deep fear of missing out.

In a way, they’re organized, and combined with the above, that’s part of why when one big company hops everyone leaps behind them as if they’re moving as one (it’s all a dick-measuring Highschool clique contest though, which is why I don’t use the word conspiracy). I would not be surprised if Huffman and Musk both repeated their rhetoric to an adoring crowd of fellows before they took it to their feeds. It’s maybe why they speak so brazenly, because there is a little echo chamber of people who worship at the altar of Survivorship bias in the hope that heaven will send them more bigger-dick pills.

• HTTP_404_NotFound
        link
        fedilink
        111 months ago

Spez actually tried to justify it?

I only saw him blaming “power-hungry” moderators for being “greedy”, and apollo “for profiting millions” from reddit’s api.

• Lells
          link
          fedilink
          111 months ago

Blaming anybody for profiting off Reddit without Reddit gettinga cut, when Reddit is looking to profit off of user content, without giving the users a cut.

• @OptimusPrimeDownfall
        link
        111 months ago

It’s all language trying to justify their greed. I bet it happens all the time, it’s just that they built their empires out of everybody elses work. In trying to wall off their gardens, they’re having to justify to the public why their greed is ok. Biting the hand that feeds.

• circuitfarmer
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Yeah this is an insane take (on RH’s part). There’s not a viable product left if they remove the FOSS code.

don’t want to pay for the time, effort…

It’s Linux. If RH didn’t want to contribute to a FOSS project and take advantage of the other tools therein, they could have been coding their own OS from scratch all these years.

• @infinitevalence@discuss.online
      link
      fedilink
      211 months ago

lol you forget that everything already in their code base is “theirs” but anything new is also theirs. IBM dont care, they only answer to Wallstreet.