ht to @golgaloth@writing.exchange

• DunkelLicht
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

This will blow some people’s minds on here: some people actually derive pleasure from work. I actually like working. I like researching, building and producing stuff. I would rather work than spend my time doing some stupid hobby. My only requirement is that I need to believe in what I am doing. I won’t work just for money or out of necessity and I won’t work just to make some rich asshole, richer. I also won’t work out of some competitive drive like some people do. I don’t even work for myself. I don’t care about material riches. I only work so that I can later marvel at my creations. But, I still like working.

• InputZero@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s great that you have found a way to make your work fulfilling but unfortunately for a lot of people the daily grind is a matter of survival and isn’t optional. If your only material riches are cheap food and a roof over your head are in jeopardy, you’ll begin to care about them real quick.

• lingh0e@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I used to love my job. I ran movie theaters. Not only was I good at it, I felt a great deal of personal satisfaction. I had fun going in to work. Then I got something I love more: a wife and kids. Movie theaters didn’t pay the bills, and it required too many nights, weekends and holidays. If I wanted to make more money and spend more time with my family, I needed to find a respectable 9-5. It took me another 5 years of bouncing around jobs to find one that, while I don’t love it it’s not a job that makes me want to drive off a cliff.

My kids are getting old enough that, if theaters started offering respectable living wages for adults with families, I’d go back to the industry in a heartbeat.

• ____@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

You’re absolutely entitled to enjoy work, particularly when it has outcomes that you value. That strikes me more as human nature than anything capitalism-specific, and something that more people should have the freedom to seek.

• pingveno@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I work for a university as a software developer. My income is considerably lower than the private sector, but it feels so much better knowing that I am working towards something that betters the world.