Hey, I was thinking about getting a VPS and hosting my own single user Lemmy instance. I am trying to think of other things to host. I already have some old hardware running unRAID with Plex, the *arrs, Kavita and home assistant. This is pushing my hardware to the limit but I still want to mess around with some self hosted things. Is there anything you would rather host on a rented server as opposed to a server sitting at your home?

• Double_A
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I’ve been dicking around with Portrainer (and Yacht) in the last week, and in my short experience many of the templates are not really 1-click ready. Especially things that need persistent storage for settings or other things are often a mess with the preoconfigured volume paths. Also most things are not available as a template…

• BetterNotBigger@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Think it really depends on who you ask. 1-click can mean different things to other people but for me personally, nothing is truly 1-click. I’ve always had to configure something and I like the flexibility Docker gives while also allowing you to understand how things are wired up without going too deep.