• dino
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

We need more GUIX here. Not using the distro but really interested in knowing more about it. Hype seems to be solely focused on NixOS lately.

• dino
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I heard the opposite, that guille is easier to learn than NixOS language.

• Spore@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Guile and Guix is way better documented than Nix. The language have more features, so you don’t have to use a hack to load packages, can actually know what is accepted in a function instead of blindly copying what others do, and it comes with a formatter.

• highduc@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I think the language is harder but more powerful than Nix’s.
        Imo a better manual and examples would help a lot.
        I’d say one of the biggest issues is the one with proprietary drivers - you can’t really find examples and guides on how to get drivers working because it’s kept hush-hush, and to install them yourself requires knowledge on how to set things up, knowledge which beginner users don’t have ofc.
        I’m a big fan of Guix and Guile but atm I couldn’t switch over due to this.

• theshatterstone54@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Building a kernel

Can’t you just use the standard Linux kernel? You can just tell GUIX to use the standardized kernel in its config file