• Sanyanov@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

People valuing the content and the platform.

For now our best chance for free platform is Odysee/Lbry - at least crypto bros can keep tue platform running for the sake of it. Or PeerTube, but less likepy since it’s more enthusiasm-driven, and enthusiasm only gets you so far.

Also, Nebula, CuriosityStream and other similar subscription services are good - and people pay for them.

• Sowhatever
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I pay for Youtube, but I’m clearly in the minority. Look at all the pitchforks in this thread not willing to pay one cent or watch one ad but demanding the content…

• Sanyanov@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

There is a difference, though, and I know why those pitchforks are raised. YouTube is a video service behemoth, and it is owned by Google, a Big Tech company that has little respect for its users. It is one of the last things most Lemmy users (known on average for their hate of Big Tech, hence why we don’t have this discussion on Reddit) would want to support.

Many of them would, and some do, support alternatives. But there is just nothing to the scale of YouTube, which exacerbates the problem as users often have nowhere else to go. And so they will do their best to use YouTube in a way that gives 0 benefits to Google, and will only be happy to see this giant fall and replaced by something more user-centric, free from corporate control, and privacy-friendly.

• Sowhatever
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I appreciate that, but I don’t think the vast majority support alternatives. It’s just “I want it free and I want it now”.

Also, if you don’t support Google you most probably don’t support the creators, very few of them have patreon or similar and just rely on ad revenue/sponsors.

I am not bothered by Google at all, at least in the EU you have pretty good control about the data they collect and I feel it’s used well. I get pretty good recommendations on YouTube and the ads I get on other sites are at least somewhat relevant.

I see the chances of a competitor replacing it and being more privacy-friendly close to none. Maybe TikTok will replace YouTube over as GenZ takes over, and I see that as a solid negative.