cross-posted from: https://feddit.de/post/5294605

Youtube, for so many years, was just too good. Yes, they changed the 5 star rating system to likes and dislikes and a few years later disabled dislikes altogether, but their algorithm mostly digs up interesting content and it just works for creators and viewers.

This might change soon. Their new strategy to disallow ad-blockers will frustrate a certain kind of viewer. Those who dislike surveillance and like open-source tech, those who use uBlock Origin and know why.

Just like a few years ago mastodon suddenly reached a certain kind of popularity, because twitter had their first big fuckup, maybe Peertube is next. It certainly is the most polished decentralized solution that doesn’t use a blockchain. Creators or fans could easily host their own videos, fans can watch it, without ads.

• conciselyverbose@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

You don’t need a centralized platform to have recommendations.

You just let users choose some tags and go from there. Each server will surface different videos, but if they all pull from everyone they’re federated with it would be a lot more accessible pretty quickly. And let users opt in/out of watch history tracking to feed their suggestions.

It won’t have the potential YouTube does, but YouTube’s so compromised on intent that it could easily be better in practice if content availability were the same (which is obviously way off).

• rufus
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

I’m not sure if Peertube perhaps already does that. There are tags to a video and it shows related videos. But I don’t know how it calculates that.

I don’t think Peertube stores interests of the users, yet. That would be a possible solution. But it also requires the user to put something in or some tracking of their activities.

Edit: Misunderstood you, corrected my comment.

• SkepticElliptic@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

If you have a bunch of people guess how many M&M’s are in a jar you can average the guesses and you’ll come very close to the correct amount. A recommendation system can be very democratic in that way. When reddit still had their public API I would take advantage of this fact and use it to decide if something was a “deal” or not on PC parts. I was tracking the prices of computer ram at the time as an experiment. It worked very well. If they are federated properly, then their content can be filtered and appear on an instances front page.