Bubba Copeland shot himself in front of police on Friday, days after he begged 1819 News not to expose his private life.

• DogMuffins
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Are you trying to make a case that suicide can be a well reasoned and appropriate solution?

Euthanasia might be appropriate in the context of some medical illnesses, but I think there’s very few people that would agree that suicide is a reasonable course of action when one encounters challenges like that described here.

I’ll just pull you up on some of the phrasing or terms you’ve used. I’m not trying to be an ass, I’m just concerned at the way you’re phrasing things and maybe you don’t realise?

He hasn’t “lost everything”. Sure I’m sure he’s lost his current position and standing with some political parties, but he still has whatever wealth he had, and given his experience can probably look forward to a lucrative career in some kind of political support role in another state.

A “pariah” is an outcast. He might have found it hard to make eye contact with some people at the shops but he wouldn’t have been banned from entering the city.

He may have been “disowned” but some of his friends, but not all of his friends and family.

It’s never too late to move and turn the page on a new chapter. He wouldn’t be “starting over” he would be making a change and continuing on.

Additionally, the term “crazy” doesn’t help anyone. People who are clinically depressed and suicidal are not “crazy”.

Words and phrasing is important and means things, whether you realise it or not your phrasing and framing is very catastrophic or black and white. Life happens in the grey.

Finally, you absolutely can talk to a mental health professional about thoughts of suicide, and they’re not going to lock you up. Usually the barrier beyond which someone needs to be detained is when they’re an “imminent risk to themselves or others”. There’s a whole spectrum from “wonders whether suicide is a solution” to “likely to harm themselves today” and in most of that spectrum locking someone up is not the right solution.