From improvements in the efficiency of OLED materials to software developments and new testing techniques, OLED burn-in risk has been lowered. OLED monitors are generally a more sound investment than ever—at least for the right person.

• cmnybo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Burn in will always be a problem, you can’t get rid of it. Sure there are ways to minimize it and monitors can try to hide it, but eventually you will have a task bar, window borders, and desktop icons burned into the screen.

• tun@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

True.

I still have my 1080p LCD monitor from 2010s working fine.

According to the article OLED has 5% chance to have burn in after 2 years. The article also mentioned Rtings test 10 years usage for OLED monitors.

• narc0tic_bird@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s in the “nature” of OLED that it eventually wears down. My understanding is that technically, it’s not burning in, but burning out, and what’s perceived as burn-in is irregular wear of the different color channels or different brightness of the individual pixels (especially with HDR content).

• narc0tic_bird@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Sure, but it’s more pronounced on OLED displays. We’ll see how microLED ages once we get some mainstream panels, but as most other display technologies are evenly backlit over the whole display area instead of the pixels emitting light on their own, they wear evenly and the subpixels/color channels don’t wear.

• Encrypt-Keeper@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

That’s true, but at the same time LED TVs have a huge problem with bloom issues that are essentially a lottery because most manufacturers don’t consider it an actual defect and won’t replace it.