• jol
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

There’s no reason they can’t mix relevant ads in the video stream itself. It’s just technically more expensive and complex.

• UraniumBlazer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

U could still easily evade this. Here’s why:

Ad is inserted into stream. Either one of two things happens depending upon the way it is implemented:

1. The length of the video stream increases as the ad is inserted suddenly. The ad blocker can simply calculate the difference and skip the difference worth of time, thus skipping the ad.

2. The length of the video doesn’t increase to prevent this. Thus, you get the ad stream overlapping in front of the actual video stream. This would thus kinda be on the frontend, which could easily be blocked.

3. The ad is inserted in the beginning itself at some random time in the video. Hence, the length of the video doesn’t change suddenly like in scenario one. However, remember that regulations require you to visually indicate that a given piece of media is an ad or not. This is why YouTube ads have “Ad” in a yellow box. This could thus very easily be detected by an adblocker that analyses every frame that the box is present in, and skips that frame. This however, would be a little heavier for the user using the adblocker.

Trust me lol. There is literally no way you can prevent ad blockers.

• Kodemystic@lemmy.kodemystic.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

if the platform decides which and where the ads will run during the video on page load, not during video pIay then I dont see how this could be blocked.

Anither thing they can do is enforce policy and start deleting/banning accounts blocking ads. I have some stuff on google account. Wouldn’t be fun to have it deleted.

• spechter@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Since their pop-up already mentioned using AdBlock violating their TOS, I’ve started using a different Browserprofile with a dedicated Google account which I’ll exclusively use for YouTube.

If there will be a slow weekend coming up, I’ll set up a self hosted piped instance

• UraniumBlazer@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Look at point 3. I explained this could still be skipped due to them having to visually indicate that it was an ad. This visual indication could easily be skipped by the local user.

As for them deleting accounts that blocked ads, how would they identify if someone blocked ads? Generate a secret key for every ad, that would be returned every time a user watched ads? This could easily be overcome, as an adblocker could simply extract this key and send it back to the server.

Trust me… If there was a way to block ad blockers, the greedy capitalists would’ve done so a loooong time ago.

• Kodemystic@lemmy.kodemystic.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Ok I see. Why is Chrome store still having ublock origin there and others? I’d just remove it. But they let it be there for everyone to download.

• UraniumBlazer@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Ok so this is how I think it works behind the scenes: the actual devs at Google don’t give af whether ppl use adblockers or not. I think it’s probably just the execs who come across stuff like this and tell the devs to “fix the problem”. Look at how Vanced was there for a long time. Only when it started becoming too popular (especially when they released an NFT), did YouTube crack down on it.

The reason why ublock origin is still in the Chrome store is because the execs prolly don’t know about it much. Maybe they are afraid that ppl would immediately hop onto Firefox if they did anything stupid like that? I dunno… However, I’m pretty confident that they’re going to do something stupid like banning ad blockers from the Chrome store quite soon. It would be quite hilarious to see the aftermath of that!