• nilloc
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Anyone who votes for him instead of Biden is a fucking moron who wants Trump in the white house again, whether they admit it or not.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I doubt anyone who votes for him would have ever voted for Biden and didn’t vote for him in 2020 either, so they’re basically a non-factor.

These are people who vote third party every time.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I think that’s the candidate’s point. There are voters who sit out elections because they have no interest in the two major party candidates. Biden is a centrist who assumes progressive voters will show up because they are afraid of Trump.

I don’t agree with Dr. West on most issues, but I don’t have a problem with anyone running to force a candidate to take positions on the issues they care about. It’s Biden’s race to lose.

• fubo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Biden is a centrist who assumes progressive voters will show up because they are afraid of Trump.

Keeping Trump and Trumpies out of office is protecting the country from a literal no-kidding fascist dictatorship. Their plans are very explicitly stated, to criminalize opposition, free the Jan 6 traitors, and put Oath Breakers and other brownshirts on your streets.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Yeah, but if they sit out elections anyway, what does it matter if they vote for Cornel West instead? It doesn’t take a vote from Biden because they don’t vote anyway.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

It matters if the number of West voters exceeds the margin of victoy. It means a more inspiring candidate could capture those voters and win.

With Trump, there isn’t very much middle ground to capture. Voters know who he is, and either drink the kool aid or recognize the danger. Biden can’t give a speech or support an agenda that will convince a Trump supporter to vote for Biden. Likewise, Biden supporters won’t be convinced to suddenly vote for Trump under any circumstances. But the non-voters, the third party voters, they can be motivated to support Biden. Biden would just have to reach out and do something motivational.

I don’t know a single person who has admitted they will vote for Cornel West, so I cannot speak to their mindset. But if he does have supporters, if he does motivate people to come out of the woodwork, and if he challenges Biden to take more progressive stances to win those voters, if he drops out and endorses Biden, then he’ll have a positive impact on the race.

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Yeah, but if they sit out elections anyway, what does it matter if they vote for Cornel West instead?

They give centrists someone to blame.

• commie@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Anyone who votes for him instead of Biden is a fucking moron who wants Trump in the white house again, whether they admit it or not.

self-reporting is the highest form of evidence we can have about what an individual wants. your claim has no evidence at all. I’m going to vote Cornel West because I want Cornel West to win. I’m not going to (nor have I) voted for Biden nor trump because I don’t want them to win.

• nilloc
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Sure, if self reporting had anything to do with a first-past-the-post election, that would be valid, but that’s not what elections are for.

• commie@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

you claimed that you know that people voting for Cornel West want trump to be president, but they certainly wouldn’t say that. the evidence suggests you’re just wrong. if they wanted trump, wouldn’t they just vote for him?