I’m studying at a univetsity and I want to begin to do sports. I want to do kickboxing, but I’m afaraid of to get strong hand blow to head bucause due to it I can get concussion of the brain which may cause my mental abilities to deteriorate. I don’t want it because I also want to become a good programmer, but because of this, the chances of becoming a good programmer will be much less. I need to be strong to protect people close to me. I really can’t live in peace having a thought that if my people need protect I will not be able to provide it to them. I don’t want to be a weak man, but I also don’t want to be a stupid man. Pls, gimme an advisement.

• HMN
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Sounds like you’ve never trained. If you want to try kickboxing or Muay Thai you’re not going to be starting out sparring. You’ll be learning the basics. That is, of course unless you’re at some dodgy ass gym that pushes everyone to spar right out of the gate. In which case you should avoid and go to a proper gym. If you’re getting many hard hits to the head in training starting out you’re doing it wrong or your partner is an asshole. Just do it. I trained with other people in IT, I remember one guy was a C++ programmer. Stop over thinking it and go for it.

• MaggiWuerze@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

My girlfriend and a friend of hers went to a kickboxing lesson once and they had the student kick each other inner thigh all day. She was completely bruised up for the next week.

Getting a good gym for this is a process I guess and you shouldn’t expect to stay with your first one

• HMN
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

That shit ain’t right! It’s sad that those wannabe gyms exist and it puts off people who would likely otherwise have a good, albeit still tough time (with some conditioning).