Not all changes are always for the better. Is there anything that you liked and is now gone?

• garretble@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Older iPhones had a screen that could interpret the pressure of your touch, giving the ui the ability to do multiple things based on how hard you press.

The best feature was pressing hard into the keyboard to get a cursor and then pressing lightly again to highlight text, all with just one thumb. It was super good. There’s an alternative to that now, but it pales in comparison.

• Celestus@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yes! That feature alone kept me from upgrading my iPhone X until the 12 Pro came out. The alternative is severely limited, and annoying to use

• garretble@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

What I don’t understand about what we have now is that you can’t “undo” your highlight like you used to be able to. So if you overshoot the highlight using the new system and select too much text, well, screw you.

With the 3D Touch way you could really dial in your selection back and forth. It seems like you should still be able to do that with this new space bar version, but, alas, no.

• Celestus@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

3 years, actually. It may not seem like much, but many people upgrade every year. Especially those of us who are into tech

• oKtosiTe@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

There’s an alternative to that now, but it pales in comparison.

Walt, is there a better way than long-pressing on a word and then clumsily moving the little markers to where you want your selection to start/end? If there is I need to know, because I hate how janky selecting text often is.

• garretble@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Hold down on the space bar and you’ll get a cursor. Then if you tap — while still holding space — on the keyboard with another finger it’ll start to select the text.

Having to use two hands to do the same thing you used to be able to do with one is what I don’t like. But it’s at least something.

• oKtosiTe@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Hold down on the space bar and you’ll get a cursor. Then if you tap — while still holding space — on the keyboard with another finger it’ll start to select the text.

Thanks. I use the space bar to move the cursor a lot, but didn’t know it could select text too. Feels pretty damn clumsy though.