“As the president of the United States, you have power to change the course of history, and the responsibility to save lives right now,” the staffers wrote.

• mutch
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

About the genocide? The most you’re willing to demand from you government is that they ask their client state to stop doing genocide? Sanctions, pull all aid, condemnations, anything. They’re slaughtering civillians by the thousands.

• m_r_butts@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I’m asking a careful question to know what the other person supported. That doesn’t mean I believe nothing else should be done beyond saying “please stop”. The US has a terrible history of unilaterally imposing its will on self-governing nations, and however horrid the events in Gaza, I’d like our response not to continue in that tradition.

• mutch
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

We give them billions of dollars per year in cash and weapons. This blood is on our hands because American taxpayers are funding every bomb. Also “unilaterally” just wouldn’t be true. The overwhelming majority of the international community would also like the genocide to stop.

I think you should deeply reflect on how evil your last sentence reads considering the circumstances.