The popular weight-loss drug Wegovy reduced the risk of serious heart problems by 20% in a large, international study that experts say could change the way doctors treat certain heart patients.

The research is the first to document that an obesity medication can not only pare pounds, but also safely prevent a heart attack, stroke or a heart-related death in people who already have heart disease — but not diabetes.

The findings could shift perceptions that the new class of obesity drugs are cosmetic treatments and put pressure on health insurers to cover them.

• morganth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

So your belief is that nobody who plays sports ever dies of heart disease? Yeah, no. Heart disease can be reduced through exercise (but never cut by 100%—that part of your post is just flat-out wrong). At times it can also be worsened by it—see the marathon runners who drop dead partway through the race.

The drug in question also isn’t a pill, but that’s the least part of your medical ignorance.

• plague-sapiens@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

That’s not my believe lol. Everyone has to die and there are many out there with serious health conditions, not caused bei their own mistake. My post was more aiming at the need to have anti-obesity drugs in the first place. First thing I learned in a pharmaceutical school was to prevent the things that cause or worsen your condition. If it’s serious, you should take meds, no doubt. But getting fit, eat healthy and don’t do drugs is usually the best thing to heal better, faster and maybe don’t get seriously sick at all.

Should have written that more clearly yeah. And I know that’s a subcutaneous pen…